O.K. curlies if you saw my I am blessed video on YT you saw how my friend Denise Benjamin hooked me up with loads of products for me to try and of course review. Well in my stash were the following Uncle Funky's Daughter products;Curly Magic $25.00 for 18oz
Ingredients: Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Aqueous-Infused Extracts of Marshmallow, Chamomile, Nettle, Horsetail, Vitamin E, Agave Nectar Extract, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate and Natural FragrancExtra Butter $22.00 8oz
Ingredients:Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Elaeis Guineesis (Palm) Kernel Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Fragrance, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Potassium Hydroxide, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Caprylyl Glycol, Caramel.
Conditioning Styling Creme $18.00 8oz Ingredients: Water, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil,, Stearalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 60, Isolaureth-6, Octyl Methozycinnamate, Octoxynol-40, Polyquatemium 47, Methyl Gluceth-2C, Pvp, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Hydroxyethlcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Grape Seed Extract, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Wheat Amino Acid, Oat Amino Acids, Citric Acid, Benzophenone-4, Fragrance.
Moisturizing Conditioner$15.50 8oz
Ingredients: Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Sesamum Indica (Sesame) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Prunus Amygaldus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Glycerin, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Polyquaternium-11, Trideceth-12, Fragrance Equisetum Arverse Extract, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Malic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Annatto.
Squeaky Clean Shampoo $13.00 8oz
Ingredients: Water, Sodium C14-26 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Menthol, Kelp Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Hamamelis Virginia (Witch Hazel) Water, Cetyl Betaine, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Equisetum Arvense Extract, Polyquaternium-10, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Fragrance, Methylisothiazolinone, Annatto.
As you can see my gurl Denise hooked a curly sister up! So what I used was the shampoo, moisturizing conditioner, and the curly magic. I was so idled one Saturday sitting at home that in my mind I was running through hairstyles I had not tried and it dawned on me that I had yet to try finger coils. Now, I have no clue what I was thinking because in my right frame of mind I would have known that finger coils is something that I should have tried when my hair was shorter, however it was gnawing at me couldn't even sleep just dreaming about whether I had the right tools to do these darn finger coils in my hair. So needless to say on Sunday morning I could not wait for the local BSS to open so that I could go purchase some clips to use on my hairstyle venture...LOL
Let me tell you guys, I started twisting those darn finger coils at around 12:00 noon and I swear to you I didn't finish until midnight! Yes me, I sat there for all those hours in front of my big screen T.V. just taking randomly parted sections of my hair and twirling my life away! I so wanted to film it when I got to the front but was so disgusted by that time that I was just ready to be done with it and get to bed. The steps I took are as follows;
- My hair was lready washed, conditioned, loaded with leave in conditioner and dried.
- I placed all my tools on my table the clips to clip the base of my coil so it wouldn't unravel, the curly magic, a towel to get excess product of my hands and remove shedded hair, my spray bottle with water and glycerin.
- I proceeded to part my hair randomly with my fingers just picking up sections of hair and moistening with my water spray, not totally wet but damp. I didn't want my hair dripping wet because I refused to go under a dryer no way no how.
- I then took just a small amount of the curly magic and applied it from root to tip. Not much was needed at all. I then took my fingers and began to twirl my section until it was tight enough where the roots of my sections started to curl up.
- Lastly I placed a metal clip to the base of the coil to stop it from unraveling while I slept that night.
- When I was through I covered my head with my satin cap and went to bed.
O.K. so at first glance I HATED IT these things looked like drop curls and it disturbed me that I might look a little childish with the coils. I just felt it was not age appropriate but after thinking about it there was no way after all those hours I was going to wash these things out! They were in and were gonna stay in for at least one week.
My next try with the UFD was a wash and go so for this I used the Conditioning style cream as a leave in and the curly magic. Here are the results of this application;
- A little goes a long ways
- Pump makes it easy for application
- Love the overall packaging of the product
- With coils the shine that this product gave was outstanding I can even say amazing
- The hold with the coils was great, after one week of having them in the coils still looked as shiny and healthy as the very first day
- WNG results were very natural looking
- Product did not feel heavy on my hair
- No flaking
- The tackiness of this product is awful, with the coils my entire face felt sticky where the coils touched my face....Yuck Yuck Yuck!\
- Even though the product left my hair shiny when I finally washed them out OMG my hair was dry, dry, DRY. Now in all fairness it could have been to my upkeep of the hairstyle or better said lack there off since I never spritzed my hair with water the entire time I had the coils in due to fear that they would unravel
- I also experienced dryness with the WNG didn't like the way my hair felt to the touch in the least but I loved the look of it.
O.K. so after using this product again, now on my daughters hair for two strand twist I can safely say that I would recommend this product for coils, braids for braid outs and twist for twist outs. My daughters twist out was well defined, shiny, moist , and soft. My friend Colleen also used the curly magic on her 4 year old daughter for twists and kept them in for over a week spraying them daily with her water/glyceren mix (per my advice) and she reported to me that her daughters hair stayed shiny, soft, and moisturized for the entire time. Colleen also reported to me that wash day after having the product in her daughters hair was a breeze no tears and no discomfortrt on her daughters end.
Personally I would not purchase this product again for my hair due to the fact that the drying out of my hair was too much for me to be comfortable with. However, I will continue to experiment with it and use it for twist outs and braid outs. Maybe as I continue to experiment with it I will find the right combination to combat the dryness and revisit my decision but for now I will stick to my guns and stay away from it for WNG's.
Sooo curlies if you have used this product and it has worked for you please leave your comments, combinations, and how you used it so that I too may benefit from your knowledge and experiences. Until next time curlies don't forget to twirl a curl today.